Disclosure – All reviews and opinions, are my own. If you make a purchase through my referral links, I may earn a small commissions from Amazon, and/or other retailers at no extra cost to you.
Last year I had the pleasure of interviewing author, Fay Bec right before the release of her debut novel Hidden Beneath The Embers. It’s been almost 6 months since HBTE was published, and Fay just released an updated version, aka Hidden 2.0! This exciting update includes a new gorgeous cover, added scenes (like 27k words worth of extra goodness, and yes there is some added spice!), as well as some fun interior changes. Check out the follow up interview with Fay to get to know a little more about Hidden Beneath the Embers, as well as the 2.0 version!
Let’s start with getting reacquainted with Hidden Beneath the Embers and the amazing characters!
- Which one of your characters are your favorite? And why? Least favorite character, and why?
Fay – My favorite character has to be Davyna. But that could be because I see so much of me in her. Ahh, there are a few…but I’d say Persephone takes the number 1 slot there!
- What is your favorite scene?
Fay – Fallen Court ball. Epecially after the updates to this second edition.
- What part of the book was the hardest for you to write?
Fay – The The last 10-15 chapters. Those were so emotional, and I battled with how to end the first book. I had a different path I was considering, but when it came time, I went with plan B, which wasn’t easy to do, knowing how it would set up book two.
- What is Kade’s favorite thing about Dy? Dy’s fave thing about Kade?
Fay – Kade’s: Dy’s determination. Davyna’s: His untamed will to fight for the things he loves.
- I loved the sexual tension between Dy and Kade. And when they finally fully gave into each other, it was perfection. Were the spicy scenes hard or awkward for you to write? And did you have a plan on those scenes before you wrote them, or did you just let the scene flow and let the characters take the lead?
Fay – So Hidden was my first book and first time writing spice. It felt weird at first, lol, and trust me, that chapter alone was edited many times. But I let them lead it. I knew where it would happen and the lead-up, but other than that, I panstered that scene, much like the bonus chapter in the second edition…which I can say is WAY spicier than the encounters we see in HBTE.
- That was one hell of a cliffhanger ending! Can you share a tiny look into what your plans are for Dy and the sequel?
Fay – All I can say is we are not done with Dy learning things…there is more out there hiding, and we know Dy. She can’t help but seek out the truth. But can she handle what is coming?
Some Hidden 2.0 Deets!
- It’s been almost 6 months since Hidden released, how do you feel having your first novel out in the world? Does it still feel sort of surreal?
Fay – Still feels surreal. Sometimes it doesn’t feel like I really did it. But authors are typically moving on to the next book soon after publishing. Not all, but I’ve seen it a lot online. And your mind doesn’t focus on the one that is out because there is so much more you want to write, and you go back into writing mode and then editing. It’s a crazy process, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Creating these characters and bonding with them through all their trials is so fun. And at the end of the day, if it touches one person out there to relate to them, it’s worth it.
- Now that Hidden is published, what does life as an author look like for you? Do you focus on one WIP at a time, or do you have a few different stories that you’re bouncing between?
Fay – Life as an author has been crazy since HBTE came out. But I work most days of the week with writing, organizing things for future books, and marketing. I have been working on two other books, which has been a little hard to manage, but I’m excited about both books.
- What was your main reasoning behind relaunching Hidden?
Fay – After writing my second book, which is in editing now (Caged in crimson), I learned much more about my writing style. I got to talk to many readers and friends in the bookstagram community about HBTE and took their advice on how I could help make her shine brighter. And I just felt pulled to go back to Hidden. My team and I went through the book, adding over 27k words, new scenes, and more depth that I love! With Hidden being a series, I wanted the first book to reflect more of my writing style and what I have learned since publishing the book the first time back in October.
- Did you dive straight back into Hidden or did you start working on other stories? Or did you let yourself celebrate and take a bit of a break before getting back to work?
Fay – LOL, so…I was actually writing caged in crimson around the time of the release of HBTE. I wanted to write in a different genre, and initially, it was just supposed to be for practice. But it turned into a book. Shortly after that, I got into book two: seeking beyond the flames, and I am still working on that first draft.
- What are you most excited about with the re-release?
Fay – The fact that there is more depth in this story now. Along with some scenes that were added. I wanted to play up the emotions in the plot and really bring Davyna’s story to life. And I think my team and I really did that. Also, I’m so in love with the new cover and can’t wait to see the rest of the series in this theme.
I don’t know about y’all, but I can’t wait to start rereading Hidden Beneath The Embers, and diving into those extra scenes! Hidden 2.0 is out NOW on Amazon and available on Kindle Unlimited!
Be sure to connect with Fay on her website and socials below, so you don’t miss out on the fun and of course keep up with any upcoming book news!
Let me know if you’ve read Hidden Beneath the Embers and if you’re as excited about the relaunch as I am!
We’ll chat soon!